[HPADM] Re: Make Bootable Recovery CD - procedure that works?

From: Joe Brancaleone (joe@nitech.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 17:13:53 EST

Quick update:

I can finally make images that fit on a single CD and can boot off the
CD, however I still have a problem: When I tested the actual recovery
process onto another HD, the process hangs (with continual activity
happening between the CD and disk) right after downloading mini-system,
at the step "Loading_software: Begin". With a break signal
(Ctrl-backslash) I can break out of that hang which gives me the
following: "Error: Could not load scripts from the tape", and then
proceeds to install boot area, swap, lvm config backups, and loads the
archive source. Some other errors show up later on in the process, such
as "/opt/upgrade/bin/tlinstall is not present or is not executable",
"Error: cannot find the utility lifcp", "inx_postload failed, exit 1"
etc until it says "Loading_software: Error", but then builds and loads
the kernel successfully, and reboots. Booting off the recovered disk is
completely impossible.

Does anyone know what scripts Ignite-UX is talking about that can't be
loaded?

As far as responses I got so far, the following "IgniteUX Boot CD
Creation Cookbook" was forwarded to me by "tonyc1968", which I've been
using. I use cdrecord to burn the image.

regards,
joe

IgniteUX Boot CD Creation Cookbook

create golden_image:
--------------------

make_net_recovery -A -v -s <server_name> -a <archive_server:archive_dir>

on <archive_server>: mv "2001-07-10,10:33" <golden_image_name>

create and edit config files:
-----------------------------
cp /opt/ignite/data/examples/core11.cfg /var/opt/ignite/bootcd.cfg <---
for 10.20 use core.cfg !!
chmod u+w /var/opt/ignite/bootcd.cfg
save_config -f /var/opt/ignite/<hostname.hwconf>
chmod u+w /var/opt/ignite/<hostname.hwconf>

change bootcd.cfg:
------------------
- at sw_source "core archive":
load_order = 0
source_format = archive
source_type = "DSK"
change_media = FALSE

- commend out everything concerning nfs_source, ftp_source and remsh_source

- at init sw_sel "golden image - 32 bit OS" (or init sw_sel "golden
image - 64 bit OS"):
archive_type = gzip tar
archive_path="<golden_image_name>" <------- only golden_image name, not path !!

- put output of "/opt/ignite/lbin/archive_impact -t -g /.../<golden_image_name>
in place of what is written in the "impacts" part

create CD image
---------------
lvcreate -L XXX /dev/vgXX
(This size may vary depending on golden image size. Check the size of
the golden image after make_net_recovery and then create a filesystem
which is about 50MB bigger then the golden image)
newfs -F hfs -f 2048 /dev/vgXX/rlvolXX <------ ensuring that we use 2048
fragment sz !!

mkdir /image
mount /dev/vgXX/lvolXX /image
cp <golden_image_name> /image
umount /image
dd if=/dev/vgXX/rlvolXX of=/.../cd_image bs=1024k <--- here you need
a filesystem with enough space !! (around twice the size of the golden image)

make_medialif -f /var/opt/ignite/<hostname.hwconf> -f /var/opt/ignite/bootcd.cfg -l
/.../uxinstall (uxinstall=lifheader)

/opt/ignite/lbin/instl_combine -F /.../uxinstall -C /.../cd_image

-> Then burn cd_image to the CD. You can use cdrecord for that on HPUX.
-> I did it successfully with Nero Burning Rom 5.5.4.0

To burn the CD from Nero do;

1. Open Nero - Burning Rom
2. Close any windows that open within Nero.
3. File -> Burn Image
4. Select image file
5. Type of Image: DATE MODE 1
6. Change blocksize to 2048 (2k which HP uses to boot off)
7. Select RAW DATE
7. Go!

END OF COOKBOOK

--