[HPADM] Summary: 100BaseT Problem on C240's

From: Johnson, Craig E (Craig.E.Johnson@icn.siemens.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 18:56:41 EST

Hi all and thanks to those who responded. Responses are attached.
Basically, I tried everything suggested with no luck. We tried hardcoding
the switch, the boot config, the /etc/rc.config.d files to several different
settings (each time we matched the settings, of course), and nothing worked.
I had the LAN tech sit down with me and we worked side by side, and we've
done this before. In fact, I've had the problem with HP's connected to the
Enterasys switches before - which was solved by hardcoding to 100FD at each
end, the most recent a B2600 that I purchased in July, exhibited this
behaviour.

These C240's though seem to be a very different beast. It is my
understanding that these are the first HP C-class to support 100BaseT on
board, but apparently they don't work too well. We went so far as to
physically relocate one of them into the switch room to eliminate cabling
issues, and also tried different switches. Nothing changed - the fastest
throughput is still 10BaseT (1MB/sec). "lanadmin" doesn't show any framing
or other errors. I finally gave up and we set everything back to
auto-negotiate. When we do this, both the C240 and the switch claim 100FD,
but the speed indicates otherwise. Note that I am testing an NFS file
transfer, and I've tried it from GBE attached servers, 100BaseT attached
servers, and clients, with the same poor results. Other NFS clients running
at 100FD can transfer 100MB in about 10-11 seconds. The C240's range from
100 seconds to 2.5 minutes or more.

I've been working on this for two months, with HP, our LAN guys, even
Enterasys, and now this list. I was hoping for a miracle. Anyway, thanks
again for all the great responses - this is the best admin list going.

Craig

attached mail follows:

Forget trying to to set it in the hpbtlanconf file - you neen to interrupt
the boot and go into the Configuration menu. Set the Lan speed and duplex
with
LanConfig 100/Full_dx
or
LanConfig 100/Half_dx

I've never had any success with 100FullDuplex on the C240's - I set mine at
100HalfDuplex and hardcode the switch for the same. Funny - the C360's do
100HD just fine...

Here's a link to some useful discussion on performance problems with
auto-negotiated links
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci802539,00.html
<http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci802539,00.html>