[HPADM] Make Bootable Recovery CD - procedure that works?

From: Joe Brancaleone (joe@nitech.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 16:05:11 EDT

Hello HP-UX gurus,

I've been in the frisbee-making business trying to get a bootable CD to actually
boot, based on the steps suggested in earlier posts, but I don't know where in the
multi-step process I'm messing up. I'm generally unfamiliar with creating CD images
on any Unix platform, so it may be a simple error.

Here are the steps I took in making a bootable CD image (i'm going off some
chicken scratch notes i made, hopefully everything important is there).:

# save_config -f /var/tmp/tdconfig vg00

# /opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image -s local -n myimage.gz -f /var/tmp
/exc_files

(/opt and some other subdirectories were excluded in order to make an image that
will fit on a 700MB CD-R)

# cp /opt/ignite/data/examples/core.cfg /home/root/config_cd

# chmod u+w /home/root/config_cd

(make necessary changes in config_cd based on make_medialif man page, and the
archive_impact command)

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif -f /var/tmp/tdconfig -f /home/root/config_cd

(creates /var/opt/ignite/local/uxinstlf.recovery)

# cp /var/opt/ignite/local/uxinstlf.recovery
/var/tmp/cdroot/uxinstlf.recovery

# mv /var/tmp/myimage.gz /var/tmp/cdroot/myimage.gz

# mkisofs -o /var/tmp/cdfs.iso -b uxinstlf.recovery -no-emul-boot
/var/tmp/cdroot

(creates /var/tmp/cdfs.iso)

# /opt/ignite/lbin/instl_combine -F /var/tmp/cdroot/myimage.gz -C
/var/tmp/cdfs.iso

(to wrap LIF image and filesystem together)

then i used a GUI utility (xcdroast) to burn /var/tmp/cdfs.iso to
a writeable cd. if i remember correctly i had to mess with some of the
settings a few times to get it to burn.

for bootability options within xcdroast, i was given non-bootable, El Torito,
and Solaris. i tried first with El Torito and then non-bootable (assuming
the instl_combine should take care of the necessary headers).
anyway booting off the CD-R failed everytime.

Also, typically when i go through the steps to put the excluded files ( /opt was
recommended and looked like a good choice) onto a second CD, i still got an
image that was above 700MB. is there another way to do this or should I just
try to make a finer split between included and excluded files to keep them
on just two CDs?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
joe