[HPADM] automounter problems

From: Joe Brandt (Joe.Brandt@honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 12:21:36 EDT

Hello,

I recently began having trouble with the automounter I believe. I have a C360 HPUX 10.20 running NIS with the /home directories being mounted via the automounter.

If I run "nedit" I get the errors like the following:
NFS server (pid1343@/home) not responding still trying
NFS server (pid1343@/home) ok
NFS server (pid1343@/home) not responding still trying
NFS server (pid1343@/home) ok

When this happens the load meter goes through the roof, usually 4-6 load. After about 5-10 minutes "nedit" opens up. I've remsh'd onto the machine as root and if I cd to /home it hangs, so I'm assuming its a problem with the automounter. This also happens with some other X apps that read from the home directory also.

I went and got all the latest patches I could find for nfs/automount and loaded those but it didn't help. I've searched through the hpux-admin list but couldn't really find any solutions for this.

The part that I find really odd, is that I can open files in my home directory with "vi" and have no problems at all. When I'm in a shell, accessing my home directory is not a problem either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe