[HPADM] UPDATE: 10.20 and Ultrium LTO Drives

From: Joe Brancaleone (joe@nitech.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 13:41:36 EDT

Well this past weekend I installed the Dec. 2001 XSWGR1020 patches with
no change, still getting I/O errors. However, I must apologize for
leaving out some very important details on the hardware end:

This is a K580 server. The LVD Ultrium drive is connected to an HVD
HP-PB card, through a LVD-HVD converter, because there are no more HSC
slots available and there are no LVD nor Wide Single-Ended HBA's for
HP-HB (say that 5 times fast). The converter setup with this device has
been tested on other systems.

 From responses to one of my original questions, the tape2 driver is
assigned to a tape device due to the bus type it resides on. HP doesn't
officially support Ultrium on HP-PB (nor, I think on K series in general
except in their library/autoloaders which probably has its own internal
converter).

My strong suspicion now is that the Ultrium device will only work on the
K server through an HSC bus (perhaps a wide single-ended card or
whatever is available?), which would assign the stape driver to the
Ultrium. I will know for sure when I am able to daisy chain the Ultrium
onto an existing bus hanging off an HSC interface.

Any further input is appreciated.

regards,
joe

--