[HPADM] SUMMARY Multiple tape make_tape_recovery

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 11:14:45 EDT

Original question:
I have a customer engineer that insists that "make_tape_recovery -IA"
will not span multiple DDS tapes. In our case, an L2000 has a DDS-2
tape drive and an 18GB boot disk. They say that it requires bigger
tapes and that it will not span over 2 tapes. I know fbackup will, and
I have done it with Ignite on DDS-1 tapes and it spanned over 2 tapes.
What I need it someone to point me to some documented explanation of
this. I can not find it in the Ignite pdf specifically.

More info/solution:
We have version B.2.4.307 of Ignite on the server in question.
We also have an LTO Library attached to the same server (Netbackup).
The DDS-2 is for Ignite's only.
The server only has at most 6Gb of data on the boot drive.
I re-verified with a like server using DDS-1 tapes and it in fact does
prompt for a new volume (pax).
I demonstrated this to the customer and they are satisfied.
Still cannot find documentation that describes this.

I do remember that if you initiate an fbackup using cron, that the
backup fails when E.O.T. is reached.

BTW, the L2000 is no longer in production. The next best server is the
RP5470 (or L3000 equaivalent). I know, because I just tried to buy an
L2000. That also pushes all of the software from tier 1 to tier 2. Oh well.

Thanks to all that responded. Kenny