[HPADM] Strange performance problems when adding memory...

From: Taylor, Vince (TaylorV@logica.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 10:36:29 EDT

Hi all,

We have an N class running HPUX 11, 8 CPU machine, 4 GB RAM, 5GB swap,
kernel parameter swapmem_on set to 1. We are running a telecoms application
which involves an Informix Database (running on a seperate machine via
socket connections) and multiple call handling processes.

The customer has insisted that we increase the RAM from 4GB to 8GB. We
disagree, but to keep them happy, we did add the extra memory. HP went on
site and did the memory upgrade (and downgrade later!) and are convinced
that they put the memory in the correct slots etc. etc. I have no reason to
disbelieve them, as we have never had a problem with their field engineers
in the past. However, once added, the performance of the machine slumped
dramatically, and was performing significantly worse after this memory was
added (it was taking 10 seconds to do what it would normally do in 2 seconds
- that sort of magnitude). We have since removed the memory, and it is now
running fine again. However, the customer still wants the memory adding.

We are trying to find an explanation as to why this is happening. Anyone
any clues, or wants more info to help me work this out?

I will summarise

Cheers,

Vince