[HPADM] Summary: /usr/tmp/pg.<printjob> files

From: Timothy Cook (TCOOK@joy.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 09:35:04 EDT

Original Posting:

Admins,

On my new K380 server I am accumulating a massive number of /usr/tmp/pg.<printjob> files. I have searched the archives and found a post from 1999 concerning this, but no solution or summary. As they are owned by lp, I know it is the lpsched process that is leaving them, but how can I get it to quit?

Thanks,

Tim Cook
CAD Analyst
Joy Mining Machinery

Solution from Bill Hassel: (who else!)

I did some digging...looks like this is being caused by the obsolete
software called JetAdmin (obsoleted about 2 years ago). Most likely,
someone may have use the transferqueue command, or possibly loaded
some older versions of JetAdmin and may have modifed directory permissions,
etc. Fixing this (using the obsolete JetAdmin software) is going to take
a long time.

You've got 2 choices:

- setup a cron job to remove pg files from /var/tmp every 10 minutes or so

- Download the supported JetDirect code called HP Printer Installer.

You can use swremove to remove the old JetAdmin software (the spooler will
not be changed, all the printers will remain installed--JetAdmin is just a
user interface). I would shutdown the lp system before removing the old
code and installing the new HPPI code. Just to make sure everything will
work OK, make a file copy of lpstat -v so you have all the printer names
in a file.

Once HPPI is installed (less than 2 minutes), test it by deleting a printer
with removequeue and then add it back with addqueue (these may be new
commands
to you--they were added about 4 years ago). If something goes wrong with the
old queues, just use removequeue to remove problem printers and addqueue to
put them back again. The output of lpstat -v could be turned into a shell
script to do this automatically.

This electronic mail transmission contains information from Joy Mining Machinery
which is confidential, and is intended only for the use of the proper addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately at the return
address on this transmission, or by telephone at (724) 779-4500, and delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Unauthorized use, copying,
disclosing, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this
transmission is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.