[HPADM] switch provisioning applications - Summary

From: Mani, Chandrashekar (Chandrashekar.Mani@astrazeneca.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 08:51:41 EDT

Hi!

          I got only one response for my question. Thanks to Andy Cranston
for his response.

          This is a general question. What is switch provisioning
applications..? As a HP-UX administrator what are the things one need to
know.

Response:
This sounds like an application a telecommunications company would use for
billing purposes. Whenever a phone call is made (mobile or other) the call
gets routed through one or more switches. Think of these switches as
complicated routers that route voice calls instead of data.

The switches record when calls start and finish. This information is stored
in a call data record (CDR) inside the switch. Because the switch has
limited storage capacity the CDR's in the switches are regularly transferred
to computer systems and then cleared from the switch. The computer systems
then process the CDR's and after a long sequence of software processing
eventually print out a bill to send to each customer who made calls.

That's the simple way of putting it - in reality billing telecommunications
customers gets very complex.

Switch provisioning applications are (and I'm guessing now) probably the
suites of software that extract the CDR data from the switch, manage general
switch operations and do some initial processing of the CDR records (e.g.
remove CDR's which are incomplete for some reason).

As the HP-UX admin for a system running a switch provisioning application I
would just be aware of what the application does from a high level and then
ask questions about how much storage space will be required for the CDR's
that the switch will produce, how long they need to be held on your HP-UX
systems and how does the CDR data get archived? The archiving question is
an important one because most countries, by law, require CDR data to be kept
for a period of X years (7 years in the UK I think - I'm guessing again).
This is so the police, CIA, MI5 and your friendly facist dictator can check
up on who Joe Average has been calling on their mobile phone.

So there you go - telecoms in a nutshell :-)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy Cranston.