[HPADM] SUMMARY: Backup Directory Containing Space in Name

From: Godbout, Marc (mgodbout@zygo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 12:45:49 EDT

THANKS TO:
Dimitri Avgoustakis and Bill Hassell, the only respondents.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Via NFS our Windows-users write files to our UNIX server, which is backed up
using fbackup. Quite often they include spaces when naming their directories
and files. HP has informed us that it is impossible for fbackup to restore a
directory if it's name contains a space. Our questions are:
1. Does anyone have experience using fbackup to restore a "spaced"
directory?
2. What are the alternative UNIX backup choices that permit "spaced"
directories?

SUMMARY:
Both Dimitri and Bill confirmed fbackup DOES NOT accommodate spaces, and
advised investing in a commercial program such as Omniback. Bill also noted
that Windows permits many bad characters in filenames; spaces are just one
of the issues that causes problems.