[HPADM] SUMMARY: Clarion FC7400 Information Please!

From: Illgen Steve 448 (steve.illgen@crackerbarrel.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 12:39:38 EDT

Thanks to:

        Eric Watson
        Brad Barton
        Leon Kazakin
        Scott Riley
        Galen Scalone

for their responses to this question.

These are the highlights of what I found out based on the responses I
received and some additional research :

1. The VA7400 is being replaced by the VA7410, which provides twice as many
2GB ports as the VA7400 (four ports, front and back vs. two ports. front and
back). With this, the VA7410 is similar to the FC4700, which also has four
ports, front and back.

2. The VA7400 line looks like it will be "phased out" in the next year or
so. As part of HP's merger strategy, their mid-line storage line will be
based on Compaq's StorageWorks line. Elements of both lines will be merged
together and marketed under the StorageWorks label. HP states that they will
continue to fully support this product for sometime afterwards (generally
five years after a product is discontinued).

3. The FC4700 is not listed as an "HP-authorized" product, therefore,
support for this product must come from EMC, not HP. I have received both
good and bad reports about EMC support of the FC4700 as well as good and bad
reports about HP's support of their storage line (one particularly bad one
dealing with the FC60/SC10 disk array).

4. The GUI interface provided with the FC4700 is very easy to learn and
easy to configure according to some. On the other hand, the same was said
about the HP interface as well; however, not the same degree.

In conclusion, there doesn't seem to be any significant factors which cause
one product to stand out over another in terms of performance,
configuration, etc.

The issue concerning HP phasing out the VA line is mute, since I would also
expect the FC7400 line to be phased out in the future as well to keep up
with new technologies.

The GUI interface on both appear to be good; although the FC7400's maybe a
bit easier to work with. Since I work with command lines, this doesn't
appear to be a factor either.

The one issue which does concern me is support. I have had some bad
experiences dealing with multiple vendors on a support issue, especially
when the "finger-pointing" starts. While EMC gets good marks by some for
their support, others reported the opposite. My experiences with HP support
has also, for the most part, been very good. Based on this, we have decided
to go with the VA7410.

Thanks again!

Steve Illgen
Unix Systems Administrator