Re: Replacing Failing SSA Disk

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 12:55:12 EST

Not strictly true...

cfgmgr will automatically take the next empty number, but if you run mkdev
yourself you can create a new disk with any name you like, using the mkdev
"-l" option: it doesn't even have to be [h|p]diskXX, although things could
get confusing if you call it "fred" or something!

You can also frig around with smit, by embedding the "-l" option in one of
the other field, if you don't want to figure out the whole mkdev yourself.

e.g. smitty > dev > SSA Disks > SSA Physical Disks > Add an SSA Physical
Disk
(or smitty ssadphys)
Select the type of disk.
In the "CONNECTION address" field enter the connection address, and the -l
option.
e.g. 00062906402000D' -l 'pdisk17
Note the absence of starting and closing quotes around that lot!

Do the same for the hdisk in the SSA Logical Disks commands, afterwards.

Or just go there, do an F6 then exit and run the command yourself.

I'm not sure of the exact format of the Connection Address. It might be
simplest to run cfgmgr to add the disk, note the address then delete the
devices and add them back manually.

Changing the name of an existing disk which is actually part of a volume
group is a bit more problematic. You could do it, but I think you'd have to
export it, rmdev/mkdev, then import the VG again.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.