Re: Replacing Failing SSA Disk

From: Coyle, Jack (Jack.Coyle@REXHEALTH.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 12:07:21 EST

Two issues as I see it. First, using the unmirrorvg may be much more command
than you want or bargained for if oravg has "umpteen" logical volumes. I'd
be more inclined to use the output from an "lsvg -l hdisk17" and then use
"rmlvcopy <LVname> 1 hdisk17" (assumes, of course that there is only one
mirror) to free up the disk. BTW, this will get "exciting" if the logical
volumes on that disk are also on other disks as well. In this case, you will
need to include those disks with hdisk17 in the rmlvcopy command. Second,
your reducevg and rmdev (of hdisk17) would remain, but before you do the
rmdev, you should issue an "ssaxlate -l hdisk17" to determine the pdisk
associated with that hdisk and then do an rmdev on that as well (rmdev -dl
pdisk??". After replacing the disk, remember to run cfgmgr to allow the new
disk to be picked up and configured. Then execute your extendvg, followed by
a number of "mklvcopy -k <LVname> 2 hdisk17" (corresponding to teh number of
rmlvcopy commands needed previously). Again, it gets "exciting" if the
logical volumes span disks and you wish to replicate the mapping that was in
place before. In this case you will need to create a mapping of the original
copy of any such logical volume and use that to generate a map as to how you
want the mirror to look. You would then use the "-m <map_file>" option on
mklvcopy. All in all, a piece of cake. HTH.

Regards
Jack Coyle
Rex Healthcare
(919) 784-3792