Re: Filesystem Best Practices

From: jeff barratt-mccartney (jbarratt@COMPSAT.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 12:16:54 EST

I spend much of my waking hours pondering data layout.

Oracle's OFA has some good suggestions as they pertain to RDBMS, with a lot
of caveats..

some of the old storage 101 axioms seem to work..my two favorites:
"more spindles equals better"
"fast, cheap, reliable, you choose any two"

data layout can be a black art. A lot depends on the array/connectivity.
there are almost no rules of thumb that do not have caveats, so be careful.