Re: Filesystem Best Practices

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 11:22:35 EST

It depends a *very* great deal on the hardware configuration, availability
requirements, performance requirements, application, type and volume of
data, access methods.

Some general stuff to be going on with...
rootvg should contain only those filesystems which are required to start the
system. No application data and not even things like scheduling/monitoring
tools, as far as possible. Put these in a separate VG if possible, (and not
the same one as your application data, so a minimum of three VGs).
Don't worry about LV placement in rootvg.
rootvg must be mirrored.
All application data for production systems should be on highly available
disks: mirrored SSA or external RAID boxes, in our case.

When using LVM mirroring, try to have exact mirrors.

When creating JFSs, give consideration to NBPI and large file enabling. If
in doubt, set bf=true and nbpi=8192 (or higher) as it's a lot of hassle to
change later.

Put JFS logs on the EDGE of mirrored disks, not in the centre.

If you don't want to specify exact maps all the time, allocating LVs from
the edge (-a e) is much neater than allocating from the middle, (the
default).

Hardly anything matters if you use big RAID boxes on a SAN.

Use a bigger PP size than you need.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.