Re: Slow Display Results using Exceed

From: Mark Ray (Mark.Ray@UNILEVER.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 13:22:51 EST

Okay, glad you got it straightened out!

Best,

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: JOSEPH KREMBLAS [SMTP:jkremblas@REDHEARTGIFTS.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 11:27 AM
To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
Subject: Re: Slow Display Results using Exceed

Hi, Mark,

        The problem ended up being a DNS problem; the machine in
question was a NIM server running AIX 5.1 and running DNS. You're right
about CDE needing name resolution in place. I logged into CDE via the
system console with no problems and performance was good. This led me to
believe that there was a network issue somewhere. To confirm that it
wasn't my eXceed configuration, I logged into one of my Red Hat Linux
boxes and issued a series of TELNETs, and RSHs and found that the
primary DNS server was the bottleneck, meaning--any traffice orginating
or going through the DNS server was suffering a painful death; no other
machine suffered from network performance. I also verified the NO
settings and verified that these haven't been changed for the past 3
months, as I maintain a master configuration file listing of all network
settings in a flat file and MySQL database. Then it dawned on me that a
DNS change had taken place on the primary DNS server and I ended up
redoing the DNS build and everything is fine now.

        Thank you for your input and advice. I appreciate it and the
group's input very much.

                Best wishes,

                Joseph Kremblas