NFS file truncating

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 11:58:54 EST

Folks,

We have a P655 running as a NFS server. Has been running for months
without any problems. But, about a week ago, one of our applications
started failing when copying files into one of the NFS mounted filesystems.

Sometime it works and some times it only partially copies.

Strange thing is, many times when it fails, the files that do not
completely copy are all the exact same size when they fail. That size is
4,194,304 bytes.
In other words, we copy multiple files, the first one is less than 4 MBytes
and it copies fine. The next three files are bigger than 4 MB, some as big
as 600 MB, but each copy gives an I/O error then moves on to the next file.
When it is all done, the three larger files are each only 4,194,304 bytes
big.

DETAILS:
========

1) The copy is really a "rcp" running on an HP J6000 (HP-UX). It is remote
copying a file from a third box ( a Tru64 system) back to itself. But it
is copying to a filesystem that is the NFS mounted filesystem off of the
P655.

2) We see no errors on the Tru64 box, the HP-J6000 or the P655.

3) The files being copied are mainly binary files.

4) The copy is done using a rcp that is part of LSF (Load Share Facility).
It seems to fail with this error:

      "copyFile: write(802816) failed, No such file or directory."

      This is followed by: "lsrcp: main() failed, try rcp...."

      Then it appears to try to use "rcp": and that fails also with an
error of: "I/O error"

5) Strange thing is, the copy (lsrcp) worked just seconds before on a small
ASCII log file (the first file) from and to the same directories??

6) This problem started about the same time we increased the load on the
NFS server. But, system does not seem to be anywhere near loaded.

7) The filesystem in question resides on EMC Clariion disks that are
attached via fiber channel to the P655.

8) AIX 5.1 ML04 on NFS server.

Any help, suggestion or sly remarks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.