Re: Why this host can't transfer data to another host through a serial line ?

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 11:06:29 EST

Not sure about the other settings either (not in a place to look those up),
but you want to DISABLE login on tty0 on both hosts if you want that test
to pass.

Also, I would not use tty0 (sa0) if you have other serial ports available.
Generally the first serial port is reserved for console and Service
Processor

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      "Paul. Vanchope"
                      <cuihh6@HOTMAIL. To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      COM> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Why this host can't transfer data to another host through a serial line ?
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      01/10/2004 04:25
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Two hosts : hostA and hostB
I have already installed hacmp 4.5 on both hosts. Before i make a
configuration for the two hosts, I want to test
the serial line on both hosts.
On both hosts, i have maked ttys like the following:
#mkdev -c tty -t 'tty' -s 'rs232' -p 'sa0' -w '0'
#tty0 Available
#chdev -l tty0 -a login=enable
But when i test the serial line like this :
On hostA:
hostA:\> cat /etc/hosts > /dev/tty0
On hostB:
hostB:\> cat < /dev/tty0

hostB could not receive the /etc/hosts from hostA and vice versa.

Why ? Have to set login=disable for tty0 ?