Re: Rootvg backup / restore

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 13:31:16 EST

Use mksysb for your rootvg, savevg for other volume groups. It doesn't
offer anything over a mksysb, so there's no point doing both for rootvg.
(For large databases, you'll probably want to use TSM, Legato or some other
comprehensive backup/recovery tool; still use mksysb for the rootvg,
though.)

Ideally, you'd have your rootvg mirrored but I know that isn't always
possible.
If you have a failure of a rootvg disk then once the disk has been replaced
it should simply be a matter of loading in the mksysb tape and booting the
system from the tape. It'll prompt for a few basic things, then
automatically re-install.

If you're using different hardware - a spare server, or perhaps a different
model of disk to replace the old one - you should do a "clone", where you
boot from the AIX Installation CD first, then tell the system to restore
from the mksysb. That way any extra drivers will be installed
automatically.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.