host file / DNS not working right on 4.3.3

From: Ron Bramblett (bramblet@FULLER.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 10:57:51 EDT

Hello,

I have a RISC 6000 server running 4.3.3
About a week ago I started seeing a problem with my email (still not
complete but at least it works)

I am running a Linux box that is acting as an email server so I can get
internal messages from the systems I manage. On the other 2 boxes (Tru64
& VMS) this runs fine with just the hosts files on each machine.

I noticed that every time that I tried to run sendmail or ftp to another
site that it would not work. This started about the 13th of this month.
It was working but maybe the network admin did something with her NT server.

before the 13th the /etc/resolv.conf file was like this.

# cat resolv.101403.conf
domain fuller.com
nameserver 172.x.x.18
nameserver 216.x.x.x
nameserver 216.x.x.x

the 172 number was the NT server and the other 2 were our ISP.

the netsvc.conf file was / is like this.
# cat netsvc.conf
#
# DNS name resolution ordering modified 01-26-98
#
hosts = local,bind

The hosts file is like this.
~
~
~
172.x.x.18 NtServer2 # NT Server
172.x.x.19 NtServer1 # Lotus Notes Server
172.x.x.20 VMSServer2 # VMS Server
172.x.x.21 VMSServer1 # pc file/print server
172.x.x.22 tru64 tru64.fuller.com # Tru64 UNIX Server
172.x.x.23 aix aix.fuller.com # AIX UNIX Server
~
~
~
172.x.x.234 linux linux.fuller.com # RHL8.0 workstation (mine)

Can anyone tell me why or what to look at to see why the local hosts
file doesn't seem to work. (The hosts file is the same one on both of
the Tru64 & Linux box)

As root I could ftp to another machine using.
        ftp Name_of_Machine

but as myself or one of the programmers I could only do this to make it
work.
        ftp 172.x.x.x

I setup a DNS server on Linux and now things are working. I don't think
that a DNS server is actually necessary because I think the hosts file
should do that. We are running (changed to it about 2 months ago) DHCP
for the winblows machines. and static IP for the servers, routers,
switches, printers, etc.

Maybe a file did not get changed correctly.

I dual boot my machine as part of my job and when it isn't running linux
the DNS server is down or if I shut it down.

Thanks for the assistance.

--
Ron Bramblett
Sys Admin