Re: host file / DNS not working right on 4.3.3

From: Lieberg, Patrick (plieberg@EV3.NET)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:55:40 EDT

This might be a reach, but you could check your sendmail.cf file to see if AAONLY is set, which turns off DNSRCH.

This is from the sendmail doc:
Name Server Access
If you want machine exchange (MX) support, you must be using Domain Name Services (DNS).

The ResolverOptions(I) option allows you to tweak name server options. The command line takes a series of flags as documented inresolver(3) (with the leading "RES_" deleted). Each can be preceded by an optional `+' or `-'. For example, the line:

O ResolverOptions=+AAONLY -DNSRCH

turns on the AAONLY (Accept Authoritative Answers only) and turns off the DNSRCH (search the domain path) options. Most resolver libraries default DNSRCH, DEFNAMES, and RECURSE flags on and all others off. You can also include "HasWildcardMX" to specify that there is a wildcard MX record matching your domain; this turns off MX matching when canonicalizing names, which can lead to inappropriate canonicalizations.