Re: Slow Network Bandwidth on 100Mb Ethernet

From: Ron Bramblett (bramblet@FULLER.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 13:52:47 EDT

Hello,
This may or may not help.
I was experiencing similar problems with windoze this past week.
I had a computer that has a 100MB nic connected to another one.

My solution was to search for "Enabling High Peformance Data Transfers
on the web.
www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html

They have a section for my problem but also for AIX. I haven't looked
into the AIX section but the winblows works fine.

I copied a 1.2 MB file to the slow computer before and it took 3
minutes. Afterwards it took 3 seconds.

Thomas Blaney wrote:
> I have a p615 (7029-6C3) running AIX 5.2 ML01. Seeing very poor network
> performance on 100Mb ethernet interface. The card and switch port are both
> locked in at 100Mb full duplex. Throughput on ftp transfers is only about
> 40KB/s, which only translates to about 320Kb/s. My experience is that on a
> non busy interface, I should be able to get 10-20% of the network
> bandwidth,
> which in this case should be 10-20Mb/s. entstat -d is not showing any
> errors at all on the interface. The AIX error log is not showing anything
> either. The problem does NOT resolve itself by downing/detaching/uping the
> ethernet card, but the problem DOES resolve with an AIX reboot. However,
> after a few days of use, the card/interface slows down again.
>
> The ethernet card type is as follows:
> 10/100Mbs Ethernet PCI Adapter II (1410ff01).
>
> TCP file sets are as follows:
> bos.net.tcp.client.5.2.0.14
> bos.net.tcp.server.5.2.0.11
>
> Any help/suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

> Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.

Ron Bramblett
Sys Admin
Fuller Brush Company