concurrent i/o

From: Jeff Barratt (jbarratt@COMPSAT.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 08:48:12 EDT

I am contemplating using concurrent i/o with oracle database files

a'la
mount -o cio /u0#

specifically under AIX 5.2ML1 64bit kernel JFS2(not inline logs)running
oracle 8.17.3-32bit (will be moving to 9.1 64bit)

does any have any hard and fast gotchas with concurrent i/o ? I know that
concurrent i/o has all of the failings of direct i/o but supposedly the
inode locking is handled much more efficiently and performance studies(
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/whitepapers/db_perf_aix.pdf) show it to be
nearly equivalent(<10% slower) to raw device speeds.