Power4 question

From: Aaron Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 15:08:22 EDT

I have a quick question. I was reading one of the IBM pages about our
P630s and it mentions that they can come in 1, 2, and 4 way CPU
configurations. I was under the impression that all Power4 processors
had 2 cores (with the exception of the latest processor used in Mac
G5s). Does this mean, that a RS/6000 with 1 Power4 processor will show
2 processors in AIX. If this is true, what does this mean in terms of
licensing. I remember one of the things that IBM marketed about the
Power4 architecture, was that applications that had per-processor
licensing would cost half as much. Is this true?