Re: Mounting tape drives between systems

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 05:19:31 EDT

One way is to use dd on one system to write the data to stdout, pipe it via
rsh to dd on the remote system and thence to the tape.

I don't think it would be easy to do this with most of the backup commands,
(backup; tar; pax). The simplest method is to back up to a disk file, then
copy that file to tape.

You can't create a bootable backup this way, but it _is_ possible to build
your own bootable tape by writing the necessary boot files explicitly.
There's been some discussion of this in the past. There's no way of booting
from it over the network, though.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.