Re: Boot off SSA disks

From: Hunter, Mark (Mark.Hunter@ANHEUSER-BUSCH.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 09:37:54 EDT

One of my cohorts has already seen this.

Here is their response:
We are following up with the track for AIX 5.x.

Refresher: This item was a result of a PMR. After swapping an SSA disk
in rootvg, the new disk is not assignable as a boot disk (via the bootlist
command)
until the system is rebooted. This is due to the fact that AIX builds the
bootable
device tree once during boot and stores the list in NVRAM.

Note that the 'mirrorvg rootvg hdisk_X' command will fail after the new rootvg
disk
is installed because, once again, the disk is not recognized as bootable.

Scott Tanquary

Document Status - Rejected
Title - Rootvg Disks are not Hot Swapable
IBM does not intend to provide a solution to this request for the following
reason:
Reject Reason : Not in Plan
Reject Explanation : No functional enhancements will made to AIX 4.3.3
External Response : AIX 4.3.3 will not be changed to support hot-swapable
rootvg disks.
No functional enhancements will be added to AIX 4.3.3 due to the fact that
AIx 4.3.3 is near end of life (standard service for AIX 4.3.3 will end
12/31/2003).