Restricting root

From: Stephen Spalding (ssaixadm@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 11:23:37 EDT

All,

I want to restrict the root user so that the admins
must log in with their own userids first and then 'su
-' to root. I want it so that root cannot directly
telnet to the box. The catch is that I want root to be
able to log in directly from the console.

I know that setting the 'User can LOGIN REMOTELY?'
field to false for root takes care of my first issue.
I then can create individual ids for my admins and
also create an 'SU GROUP' for them to be a part of.

I've tried setting 'Valid TTYs' to /dev/tty0, but that
completely restricts root access to the console, which
is tighter than what I want.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

-Stephen Spalding