Re: Restricting root

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 12:38:05 EDT

rlogin=false will prevent any sort of network login; telnet, rsh without a
command.
login=true means that root is allowed to login directly. (These are the
parameters for the chuser command.)

In combination, that would prevent someone logging in with root via telnet:
they'd have to use another userid then su. But it will permit a login if it
is not remote, so it would let root login directly on the console. It would
ALSO let root log in directly on any old-fashioned serial terminals you may
have. If you don't have any, then this will do what you want.

chuser login=true rlogin=false ttys=ALL root

If you DO have other terminals, besides the actual console, then I don't
know how you do this easily.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.