Re: Secondary DNS server

From: MARLON BORBA (MBORBA@TRF3.GOV.BR)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 15:24:15 EDT

there is no way to avoid some disruption of your dns service. you will need to shut down your old server and wake up your new one. configure the new server to be the primary one and check thoroughly for correctness of your configuration, but don't put it online. use, for example, a static ip address distinct from your old servers' one and put some machines to use the new one as their dns server. or, better yet:- i suggest the use of a separate network segment (eg your new server, a workstation and a vlan on your switch or a hub) to do the work and the tests. once you are sure all is working you can shut down your old server, reassign ip address and change cables as needed, and voilá.

hth,

marlon.

/*
Marlon Borba
Divisao de Suporte Tecnico
TRF 3a. Regiao
(11) 3311-4683 e 9692-8357
mborba@trf3.gov.br - marlonborba@acm.org
-------
"We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We
believe in rough consensus and a
running code."
--Dave Clark, pioneiro da Internet
*/

>>> erikiken@YAHOO.COM 26/05/03 15:04 >>>
I inherited a primary DNS server (AIX 4.3.3). We
really need to scrap this machine. I have a second
machine running AIX 5.1 that we want to make the
primary, but I think that first, it should start
functioning as the secondary DNS server (inheriting
from the primary). Does this make any sense?

So, how would I set this up from scratch? I know that
the requisite filesets are installed, but what do I do
from here?

Erik
[Moderately experienced AIX guy, but DNS novice.]