Re: LPAR memory overhead for p630

From: Raj Atwal (atwalrs@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 17:41:19 EDT

Yeah I checked once I got my hands on my notes. 256mb for hypervisor is static no matter how many partitions you have, and the TCE PMB can be shared because of the size of memory I will be allocating to the partitions. Thanks for the reply Gary.

Rgds

Raj Atwal

glh@DAIRYNET.COM wrote:
I think you may be a little high on your page table calcs. I have a p650
with 8 GB of memory currently running 4 partitions. I have 3 partitions
running with 2 GB of memory and 1 at 1.25 GB of memory. The page tables
are 64 MB each (4 x 64 MB = 256 MB) along with 256 MB for the TCE and 256
MB for the hypervisor. Total of 8 GB. Again, this is on p650 but I would
think a p630 should be similar. I hope this helps you with your config.

Gary Heilman
Dairyland Power Cooperative
608-787-1408
glh@dairynet.com

Raj Atwal
M> cc:
Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: LPAR memory overhead for p630
Discussion List

05/13/2003 12:43
PM
Please respond to
IBM AIX
Discussion List

I need to spec out a p630 for LPAR consolidation. I dont have my LPAR
course notes handy with me right now and I cant find a definitive way to
calculate the memory overhead for my config, so was hoping somebody on the
list can help.

I want to configure 4 lpars on the p630, 3 lpars with 1GB of memory and 1
lpar with 2gb, so a total of 5gb memory. Now what is the LPAR memory
overhead in addition....?

I calculate that the TCE tables wil require 256mb, the hypervisor 256mb,
and each lpar will require 256mb for Partion page tables (256 X 4=1024mb).
So I have total overhead at 1.5gb. Is this correct? I am not sure if the
hypervisor is allocated per partition or not or if I can share the partiton
page table PMBs for multiple partitions.

TIA

Raj Atwal