Re: LPAR memory overhead for p630

From: glh@DAIRYNET.COM
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 14:35:26 EDT

I think you may be a little high on your page table calcs. I have a p650
with 8 GB of memory currently running 4 partitions. I have 3 partitions
running with 2 GB of memory and 1 at 1.25 GB of memory. The page tables
are 64 MB each (4 x 64 MB = 256 MB) along with 256 MB for the TCE and 256
MB for the hypervisor. Total of 8 GB. Again, this is on p650 but I would
think a p630 should be similar. I hope this helps you with your config.

Gary Heilman
Dairyland Power Cooperative
608-787-1408
glh@dairynet.com

                      Raj Atwal
                      <atwalrs@YAHOO.CO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      M> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: LPAR memory overhead for p630
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      05/13/2003 12:43
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I need to spec out a p630 for LPAR consolidation. I dont have my LPAR
course notes handy with me right now and I cant find a definitive way to
calculate the memory overhead for my config, so was hoping somebody on the
list can help.

I want to configure 4 lpars on the p630, 3 lpars with 1GB of memory and 1
lpar with 2gb, so a total of 5gb memory. Now what is the LPAR memory
overhead in addition....?

I calculate that the TCE tables wil require 256mb, the hypervisor 256mb,
and each lpar will require 256mb for Partion page tables (256 X 4=1024mb).
So I have total overhead at 1.5gb. Is this correct? I am not sure if the
hypervisor is allocated per partition or not or if I can share the partiton
page table PMBs for multiple partitions.

TIA

Raj Atwal