Re: Clustering

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 06:06:51 EDT

Veritas do some similar products, I believe. I don't know much about them,
though.

There's nothing that HACMP does that you can't do yourself, if you want to
take the trouble. I've done it myself, in an emergency.

Provided all of the application data is on the external SSA disks it's
simple enough: you can import the VGs when you need them, which saves having
to keep them synchronised, or have them already imported and take care of
synchronisation just as you would with HACMP.

The other main thing you need to take care of is network interfaces, and
maybe the hostname. I used aliases for this.

You need to give some thought to things like /etc/services, print queues,
users. The simplest way is to create your standby by cloning your live
server. You need to keep these things in step afterwards, though.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.