HDD down without any error

From: Faisal Qasim (faisalq@cyber.net.pk)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 00:26:11 EDT

Dear all,

Recently we faced following scenario:

- Sometimes during boot up filesystem not mounted
- Restart and everything is normal

Later what comes up was that a HDD was giving intermittent problem, causing
non-availability of VG. Ultimately that HDD gone bad and data was to be
restored.

My worry is that HDD was giving problem and VG was not available, but
'errpt' was perfectly fine, no error was generated. Was that the normal
behavour? How can such errors be tracked?

We are using AIX 4.3.3 on F80.

Hope I was able to communicate my question properly. I will be grateful for
your help.

Regards