Re: Big VGs

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 11:56:53 EDT

I would advise against this, unless you have no choice.

I set up a BigVG a few years ago and it was a major pita!

The big problem was that all LVM commands seemed to take forever.
It's bad enough when you've got time for a cigarette between
issuing lsvg and getting any output; it's worse when a VG recovery
takes two hours instead of 20 minutes. (Trying to get it to work
correctly at our Disaster Recovery tests was a nightmare.)

If you have to do it, treat it as a temporary solution: try to
convince management to split the VG later on; it'll be much less
painful in the long run.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.