Big VGs

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 11:30:05 EDT

I inherited a system that has a volume group with
thirty two 8GB Shark LUNs. Obviously, we're maxed
out. The current plan is to move to a "big" VG.
There's some 150 free PPS on one disk, so I do have
the option of using lmigratepp to move the first {x}
partitions from each disk to the free section in the
VG.

[Rebuilding a new VG or using another VG is also an
option, but for various reasons, the DBAs are leaning
toward this one.]

My questions:

1. AIX 4.3.3 ML 10. Any known problems with big VGs?
 I couldn't see any APARs.

2. Exactly how many free PPs do I need at the start
of each disk?

Other than that, I assume that there aren't any issues
with just shutting everything down and running "chvg
-B VGname" (after running a database backup, of
course).

- pAG