Re: Big VGs

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 15:35:43 EDT

I'm back again with the big VG issue. My client wants
to pursue them.

The "drawbacks" with big VGs, as I see them are:

1. Slow VGDA updates.
2. Past AIX defects
3. Can't go back to AIX 4.3.0 or before.

I don't consider #3 a problem, frankly.

Can anyone point to any specific examples of how slow
VGDA updates will take? If it's just a slowness
issue, I think I can live with that (we'd only need to
do VGDA updates only when we increase a file system,
and those are generally planned).

If there's a potential corruption issue, then that's a
different story. The box is currently at AIX 4.3.3 ML
08, but it will probably go to AIX 5.1 or AIX 5.2 by
the end of the summer.

Can anyone relate any practical information about #1
or #2, and can anyone relate any new issues I haven't
considered?

Quite honestly, it would be easiest for the customer
to use big VGs if at all possible, but if it's really
not feasible, then a second VG would be the route we'd
take. This customer's environment is probably the
"textbook" case for why IBM introduced the option.

- pAG