Re: Formula for sizing jfslog

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 12:07:42 EST

I think I've extended a JFSlog just twice since I've been working with AIX,
(six or seven years). This is NOT the sort of thing you would do routinely
as it's a PITA. It cannot be done with the filesystems mounted.

Set it up correctly when the volume group is created and you'll never need
to touch it again. Give it two partitions if you're paranoid. Better
still, create several JFSlogs, as I said; this'll give better performance as
well, (reduces contention and disk-head movement).

In most cases, one PP actually seems to be adequate for quite large VGs;
certainly with database systems. (Oracle, on filesystems not raw LVs; with
or without SAP/R3.)

It's possible that other types of load might put more strain on the JFSlogs.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.