Re: Rule-of-thumb paging size algorithm

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 06:00:22 EST

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the RoT I know about are
horribly out of date, referring back to the days when memory was measured in
MBs and before the advent of late memory allocation.

The simplest one I know of is 2*Memory or 512MB, whichever is less. (That's
from the System Management Concepts manual.) You may also come across:
total paging space = 512MB + (memory size - 256MB) * 1.25

...but that may be a bit silly for really large amounts of memory.

But it really is so incredibly application dependent that it's impossible to
come up with a meaningful RoT.

For searching, you may find that Google is more useful. A basic search for
"aix paging size algorithm" gives some decent results. Don't forget the
Groups tab. comp.unix.aix covers much the same ground as this list.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.