default route. how to set. how can it get lost?

From: Jim Lane (JLane@TORONTOHYDRO.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 14:49:53 EST

Hi, All

I have a server that, for some unknown reason, seems to have lost its
default route. a fellow sysadmin went to the console and re-established
it using a "route add" command. correct me if I'm wrong but won't this
be lost at the next re-boot? how could this have happened? the server is
question is AIX 4.3.3 ML10. on other AIX servers if I enter the command
"lsattr -El inet0" I get a line beginning with "route" followed by an
indication of the correct default route. on the problem machine the
default route shows up under "netstat -rn" but not on "lsattr -El
inet0". am I not supposed to be able to re-establish this on the fly in
the ODM? I thought if I entered a command such as:

 chdev -l inet0 -a route=net,,'0','nn.nn.nn.nn' (where nn.nn.nn.nn
is the gateway address)

it should update the ODM with the address. isn't that what
/usr/sbin/mktcpip does under the covers? if I run the chdev command on
the problem server it comes back and says "inet0 changed" but the
display from "lsattr -El inet0" stays the same. what am I missing here?

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services
Toronto Hydro