Advice on a server upgrade

From: Adam Hanel (hanela@BILLINGS.K12.MT.US)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 11:04:28 EST

We're running AIX 4.3.3 on our 7046-F50 and were just getting ready to
upgrade (swap out) 4 disk drives in our RS/6000 and I was wondering if
anyone had any advice.

We have one volume group (ifasvg) and one paging space (paging00) assigned
to a raid 5 array of 4 9gb disk drives. We are planning on replacing the 4
drives in the raid 5 array, with 10 (5 in the middle 6pack, and 5 more in
the lower six pack) 18gb drives. And creating a raid 1 0 array from the
new 10 drives.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Any suggestions, comments,
hints or tricks?

-Adam