Re: /unix linked to /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp - but it's a single processor

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 11:41:44 EST

do a:

# sysdumpev -L

Device name: /dev/hd6
Major device number: 10
Minor device number: 2
Size: 88271872 bytes
Date/Time: Sun Feb 2 23:02:04 CST 2003
Dump status: -3
dump crashed or did not start
Dump copy filename: /var/adm/ras/vmcore.0

If it coredumped recently and the return code is 0

it's probably in: "/var/adm/ras/" with the file: "vmcore.0". If it is then
you can send me the core and I'll let you know what I believe the problem
is. But only do this if all else fails. I agree with Bill you may have to
look at your boot file (kernel). Now do a:

# bootinfo -y

Then look for that fileset installed on your system:

# lslpp -l | grep -i 64
  bos.64bit 5.1.0.0 COMMITTED Base Operating System 64
bit
  bos.mp64 5.1.0.0 COMMITTED Base Operating System
64-bit
  bos.64bit 5.1.0.0 COMMITTED Base Operating System 64
bit
  bos.mp64 5.1.0.0 COMMITTED Base Operating System
64-bit
#

You may want to think about re-linking the "/unix" kernel link with the
other kernel in the "/usr/lib/boot" directory and then try to de-install
and re-install the filesets above with the 64 bit maybe it was corrupted
some how. Then perhaps try reinstalling the bos.perf (AIX performance
toolbox) fileset and then re-try "sar". If all that fails even on the new
file(kernel), then look for the dump if it failed then u can send it to me
and I'll take a peak.

Another option maybe a "Preservation" install to refresh all of the AIX bos
filesets on the system.

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)

                      Michelle DeVault
                      <adsmigmo@YAHOO.C To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      OM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: /unix linked to /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp - but it's a single processor
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      02/06/2003 11:32
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

server/# sar -P ALL 1 3
sadc: 0551-109 Warning: The kernel data structures are
not consistent.
sadc: 0551-109 Warning: The kernel data structures are
not consistent.

AIX server 3 4 ########## 02/06/03

10:28:21 cpu %usr %sys %wio %idle
sar: 0551-211 Specify a positive integer for the time
change.