RAID5 with SSA disks

From: BSARMA (bsarma@BASIT.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 18:31:31 EST

Greetings

We have our IBM RS6000s (H70) with SSA disks with HACMP 2 node Cluster
we have 2 SSA controllers in each box.

We are settingup Oracle RAC 2 node cluster for load balancing and failover.
Our application is OLTP.

We want to setup RAID5 using all the controllers (2+2), so that if Controller1 on Server1 fails it can use Controller2 on server1 and both the controllers take the io. Same with the other cluster.

But the IBM Service people say that we can not have 2 controllers in RAID5,
please advice.

I appreciate if you can point me towards some documentation or papers.

If this is not possilbe we would like to have Raid 0+1 and Raid5 together
some of the orale stuff (redologs, controlfiles, temporary tablespace (may be it needs raid 0), rollback segments (undo tablespace).

All these days we have been using raid5, if we plan to use raid 0+1 are there any plus or negative points to watch.

I have been reading the material about raid, but everybody talks as File systems. Since We have to use RAW partitions for Oracle OPS or RAC.

I appreciate your experiences or your notes.

Regards and Thanks
BN