Identifying source of VG lock

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 07:52:10 EST

I had a problem at the weekend with several dozen scripts backed up because
of a locked volume group.

I believe that someone had simply Ctrl-C'd a command when they found the VG
was - quite legitimately - locked. I was able to resolve things eventually
with chvg -u, but with so many scripts waiting it took a little while to
settle down.

I've reminded everyone to use the -L flag, (again!) and will tell people to
modify some of the more frequently used scripts.

Is there any way of identifying what specific process has obtained the VG
lock? Or what processes are waiting on a lock? I would find this useful in
clearing up such messes in future.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe