Re: Identifying source of VG lock

From: Adams Kevin J (kevin.adams@PHS.COM)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 14:09:59 EST

Simon,

What -L flag are you referring to?

Thanks,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Green, Simon [mailto:Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 4:52 AM
To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
Subject: [aix-l] Identifying source of VG lock

I had a problem at the weekend with several dozen scripts backed up because
of a locked volume group.

I believe that someone had simply Ctrl-C'd a command when they found the VG
was - quite legitimately - locked. I was able to resolve things eventually
with chvg -u, but with so many scripts waiting it took a little while to
settle down.

I've reminded everyone to use the -L flag, (again!) and will tell people to
modify some of the more frequently used scripts.

Is there any way of identifying what specific process has obtained the VG
lock? Or what processes are waiting on a lock? I would find this useful in
clearing up such messes in future.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

This electronic message transmission, including any attachments, contains information from PacifiCare Health Systems Inc. which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.