Re: Setting up Parallel Printers from (win9x) clients to AIX

From: Sheets, Jerald (JSHeets@OLOLRMC.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 10:46:40 EST

There are several methods to connect, but I will treat two. I'm sure the
other fine guides here on the list will have others, though.

The two I will speak to are serial and network. Of course, IBM has the 16
Port Asynchronous RAN devices (manufactured by DIGI, If I remember
correctly). They have a PCI card and can connect through a Mux Eliminator
to remote sites and such. YOu can put both terminals and printers on those.

If you're already IP and these printers are networkable/networked, there are
several things you can do there. For HP printers, I just put in Jet Direct
cards and AIX prints to them natively. Various manufacturers will have the
hardware necessary to connect their printers to the network, and support
will vary from vendor to vendor.

If you have serial printers, and only have IP to get to them, and don't want
to by a stack of network cards for each, you can buy Lantronix gear in a
myriad of fashions. One is a simple per-printer device running around $70
each. They also have a rackable terminal server in varying port numbers
that you can use your current ethernet cabling to do the serial connections
and configure all the ports in the TS. AIX prints natively to that guy real
well. The thing I like about Lantronix stuff is the internal programming
language is extremely powerful and verbose. Translation: If it isn't
working because of TTY settings, you can program that guy internally to be
anything, do anything, and translate anything. Their stuff is just amazing.

I hope I interpreted the question right now that more answers are coming in.

Jerald M. Sheets
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center
225-765-8734