Re: Urgent : total memory usage

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 07:22:11 EST

I did see the script; I just cut it from my reply to save space.

The first command ("ps -ef|...") gives you a list of each command that is
running. No problem there per se.

The problem comes when you run svmon -C <command name>

Now, for each individual command, the "Virtual" figure at the top is
accurate. However, it is quite likely that two entirely different commands
will be sharing some parts of memory. This would normally be executables.
By adding up the figures, you are counting these shared portions of memory
multiple times.
Try running svmon -C for a couple of commands, and look at the SHARED
section at the end. The Vsid is a unique identifier and you will find
examples of some of these which are used by many different commands.

If you just want to see what one particular command is doing, then svmon -C
is OK.
If you want to look at the whole system, then you should use svmon -G.

You could sum the Virtual figure from the EXCLUSIVE stanza, but then you
wouldn't be including the shared memory at all. Unless you have some
requirement you haven't mentioned, it's pointless anyway, when svmon -G does
what you ask for in one simple command.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l