Re: SP Complex - IP Migration

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 12:38:44 EST

Not only "usually" en0 but always. The CWS hostname will be an alias for
that network.

You can check the nodes with the following:
SDRGetObjects Node node_number reliable_hostname

This will list each node's reliable_hostname, (surprise!) which is the one
on the administrative network. Ideally you shouldn't use this for anything
else, and should have a different network for external access to the system,
but a lot of people don't. (It's been overtaken somewhat by changes in
networks, particularly when 10/100 adapters became ubiquitous.)

If you have to change this, it'll be a nuisance. The biggest problem will
be getting an outage to all systems, although with all the network changes
maybe your users have already agreed to this.

Deleting all of the nodes is easy. Use spdlenode, not spdelfram as you
don't want to remove the frame definitions. (If you have SP Attached
servers - S-series or p660s, for example - the node IS the frame so you have
no choice.) Adding them back is not so easy and it would be sensible to
script this. The problem is not the amount or difficulty of the work, but
the potential to make mistakes. With only seven nodes I'd just knock up
something very simple: no logic, just all of the commands to update the SDR.
Check it lots of times, in exhaustive detail!
Here's one I did earlier...

spethernt -s no -t bnc -f 10 -d half -l 81 baspa21e 255.255.255.192
193.222.152.6
spadaptrs -s no -r 16 -l 81 tr0 up1db_tr_boot 255.255.255.0
spadaptrs -s no -r 16 -l 81 tr1 up1db_tr_stby 255.255.255.0
spadaptrs -s no -a yes -n no -l 81 css0 up1db_sp_boot 255.255.255.192
sphostnam -a tr0 -f short -l 81
sphrdwrad -l 81
spchvgobj -r rootvg -v aix433 -p PSSP-3.2 -h hdisk0,hdisk1 -i
bos.obj.baup121e -n 0 -l 81
spbootins -s no -r customize -l 81

Then just repeat it for each node, with appropriate changes. There will be
additional commands for SP Attached servers before you can do any of this.

Be sure to list all the SDR info before you delete things; stick it to a
file somewhere. (splstdata -a|n|b)

Adding the nodes back won't take too long; customizing them will take an
hour or so. You'll also need to budget for stopping and starting all of the
applications.

Give some thought to disabling any automatic application startup. I would
feel happier checking that everything was working before letting the users
loose on the system.

You'll need to re-start your switch, including an Eclock and Eprimary. You
don't have to wait for every node to be back for this; just so long as you
have two. Note that you may have problems if the original primary and
primary backup aren't in the configuration when you try to start it. You
can hack the SDR to fix this, but it'd be better to wait until you've at
least added all of the SDR entries back; doesn't matter if they're not
actually running just so long as they exist.

Once it's all done, a considered but strong complaint to your manager might
be called for. Such lack of notice is inconsiderate and potentially
dangerous.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe