Okay quick poll and maybe some information for some of you...

From: Saxon, Lamar (Lamar.Saxon@AMERICREDIT.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 12:19:44 EST

Something we discussed in our meeting with IBM yesterday.

Most of you know since last year you had to by software maintenance for AIX
with any new system install.

How many have heard after Jan 20 of this year you will also have to buy a
combo support line AND software maintenance with each machine purchased ?
Also, the fee is based on PER PROCESSOR. From our rumors, the fee will go
to about 3X the current software maintenance you are buying ( $275 per
processor for 1 year & $825 per processor for 3 years x 3 after Jan 20th
)... AND, from our understanding they will not uncouple the fees ( support
line & software maintenance ).

Now the next gotcha, you will have to purchase the same licensing if you
decide to upgrade a machine from AIX 4 to AIX 5; but with an "after license"
which I understand might be higher in cost.

We currently have a per incident cost with support line since we rarely use
them; so for us to be forced to purchase a contract is sort of ... crappy
from our perspective. Plus the current pricing does not have exclusions or
reduced rates for HACMP standby nodes nor DR servers.

Just to give you an idea; you will pay $9,900+ for a 3 yr SW/SL or $3300 +
for a 1 yr SW/SL for a to upgrade a 12 way S85 to AIX 5L in the future...

Any body else heard this ? I know some of my friends with Government
contracts have already experienced this fun... With 50+ machines, we never
forecast these cost and will be hard to convince management of upgrading and
staying within licensing...

So much for the days of media charge...

Lamar