Re: Tivoli Storage Manager upgrade

From: Raghu S (raghu@COSMOS.DCMDS.CO.IN)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 00:16:28 EST

Hi sachin,

1.take full backup of TSM db. This will help you incase rollback to 3.7 is
required

2.save volhist.out and devcnfg.out

3.save device definitions

     lsdev -Cc tape > tape.def

     lsdev -Cc library > library.def

4. Insert 5.1 CD and mount

5. smit install_upgrade

6.select Install and Update from LATEST Available Software

7. select all required filesets including device fileset

8.Use saved device information to configure drive and library

API is same for all.

Regards

Raghu.

                    "Ganu Sachin, IBM"
                    <Sachin.Ganu@KWA2.SIEM To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    ENS.CO.IN> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Tivoli Storage Manager upgrade
                    Discussion List
                    <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>

                    01/07/2003 09:10 AM
                    Please respond to IBM
                    AIX Discussion List

Hi

I am going to upgrade Tivoli Storage Manager from 3.7.0 to 5.1.0

I will be backing up necessary files as recommended. I would like to know
while upgrading, which of the options should I use

Install and Update from LATEST Available Software
  Update Installed Software to Latest Level (Update All)
  Install and Update Software by Package Name (includes devices and
printers)
  Install and Update from ALL Available Software

Also I will be loading TDP for Informix in which also I get an API for TSM.
Which should I load ?

Finally, last time when I upgraded TSM on one system, my server and client
could not communicate over shared memory even though I had correct
settings,
so I switched over to TCP/IP, Please suggest

Regards

Sachin Ganu
IBM Global Services (India)