how to diagnose printer failure

From: Jim Lane (JLane@TORONTOHYDRO.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 08:24:35 EST

Hi, All

I'm having an intermittent problem reported by a user whereby an HP
JetDirect attached
printer "hangs up". the user clears the problem by stopping the print
queue and canceling
the current job after which all seems to be well. needless to say I
only hear about this after
it's all over. God forbid anything should ever be simple! anyway, I'm
trying to figure out how
to trace this down. I've created a log file for the print queue using
the -D flag on the backend
command but this has produced a load of stuff that I'm not sure how to
interpret. none of
it really looks like an error. except for one message that isn't in the
book. it's numbered
0781-390 with text "sendjob: (FATAL ERROR) job so-and-so failed."
is there some easier or better way I can be using to deal with this?
the server in question
is AIX 4.3.3 ML08.

TIA

Jim Lane